When a guy wants to drop a few pounds he just cuts soda out and loses 10 pounds in 1 week…ok maybe that is an exaggeration, but seriously…don’t you feel like guys don’t have to try as hard as women to lose weight? What is their secret? I was reading an article in Self magazine that seem to answer just that. According to this article it is all about mind-set. Guys tend to be better at taking little steps a rewarding themselves along the way. Most women have an “all or nothing” approach to weight loss and we don’t give ourselves enough credit for little achievements. For example, if you have a healthy breakfast and a healthy lunch do you tell yourself “Alright! I am eating great today, I should be proud!”? Nope…women tend to stress about dinner or other things that prohibit them from celebrating the small stuff. Feeling good about intermediate goals encourages you to keep moving toward the larger weight loss goals. (of course you can apply this thought process to any other areas of your lifeJ)
So instead of shedding only sweat and no pounds on that treadmill every day, here are a few things to keep in mind that might get you losing weight like a guy.
1. Have a one track mind – pick your worst diet habit and focus only on that for a 30 day period. Let’s face it, most women try to eliminate, soda, dessert, pizza, go vegan, etc….all at the same time….this is just setting you up for failure.
2. Act oblivious – men worry less about physical appearance….help your worries by looking hot in some new workout duds.
3. Feed your ego – work out with a super fit friend and don’t let her out exercise you…..then maybe politely brag about it later…even if it just to yourself.
4. Ditch dinner drama – when a guy sees that he is having pizza for dinner he thinks “sweet! Pizza”… when a women thinks about this, she starts to freak out because it is her #1 food weakness. When our emotions play a part in our eating….which is a total disaster. Treat food as fuel, take bites because you are hungry and think about what your food choices will do to your body.
5. Pump iron – simply put…women need to lift weights
6. Eat real food – see many guys eating 100 calorie snack packs? They typically east foods with more nutrients and avoid sneaky saturated fat by fueling up on whole foods.
7. Be a bit studly – Guys rarely ever doubt their ability to succeed, even when they have setbacks. Women on the other hand beat themselves up over a missed workout or a chocolate binge. Ban that way of thinking! Tell yourself that not every day will be a great “fit/healthy” day. Get back at it the next day without beating yourself up.
So give it a shot! Try a few of these, see if it makes a difference.